Uninstall Software problem

novis 11:02 27 Nov 06

I have a Sony VAIO system and run Windows XP.

I have been having problems with a HP laserjet 5L printer. I am told that it is out of memory when I am using only a fraction of it.

I want to re-install the software but it is not listed in the Add Remove Software window. It is listed in the Programmes but there is no uninstall facility. How do I find it to remove it.

I have been going round in circles on the HP website trying to find the drivers to reinstall. Does anyone know where else I can find them where downloading the is straightforward?

Many thanks.

anskyber 11:09 27 Nov 06

Is this it? See also the hot topics box. click here

novis 11:14 27 Nov 06

This is the HP site that sends you round in circles without allowing you to download the software.

Moreover, to reinstall I would have to uninstall the current version and without it being listed in Add / Remove Software - how am I able to do so?

anskyber 11:29 27 Nov 06

I got to the point where it says down load software. click here

anskyber 11:33 27 Nov 06

That did not work so I'll try again click here

jimv7 11:41 27 Nov 06

Start/control panel/printers & faxes, highlight your printer and delete it, say yes to remove all references to it.

Restart the computer and it will find the printerand you can load the new drivers.

novis 11:43 27 Nov 06

I tried that - there is no install option. It seems to say that the driver is no longer available as of Oct 2001. However there is a useful option to check whether you are using the right driver. It informs me that I am not - I attempted o download the correct one but encountered so am no further ahead. Grr!

novis 11:46 27 Nov 06

To save confusion - what tried was the download from the H- site - not the delete printer option suggested above. I'll try that now. Thanks.

jimv7 12:05 27 Nov 06

I have just checked with my xp installation via add a printer and the hp 5L laserjet drivers are built into xp.

As is quite a range of printers.

jimv7 12:29 27 Nov 06

The printer drivers are built into win xp, just delete the printer from the printer/faxesfolder in control panel.

Then follow this to reinstall the printer

click here

novis 13:17 27 Nov 06

I will check whether my XP lists a HP 5L driver - thanks.

I tried to uninstall my printer by

' highlight your printer and delete it, say yes to remove all references to it. '

but was given no option to remove all reference to it.

When I did a restart the printer was still there.

Suggestions please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…