uninstall prog in vista

nickyjane 21:54 26 Sep 07

hi guys, how do I uninstall a unwanted program from vista. thanks

skidzy 22:01 26 Sep 07

Start (windows globe) bottom left corner

Control panel

Programs/uninstall a program

Highlight the the program you wish to remove by clicking it once.

At the top of the list,Uninstall

nickyjane 22:21 26 Sep 07

hi skidzy.I have done that but keep getting a message saying" do not have sufficient access to uninstall program, contact system administrator". I am the only user on pc. I have been used to XP. Thanks

Technotiger 22:28 26 Sep 07

Found this on another forum where someone had similar problem, it might help ...

To run apps and games with Admin rights, right click the app icon and select
the "Run as Admin" button (has a windows security shield next to it).

Technotiger 22:38 26 Sep 07

What is the program that you are trying to un-install?

Another thought - perhaps you could try the un-install in Safe Mode, being Vista I am not totally sure, but I guess Safe Mode would be pressing F8 on start-up as in XP.

nickyjane 22:47 26 Sep 07

I installed a web cam and the disc loaded real player onto pc, having had this player on xp ,I found that it took over all media playing. I just don't want real player. thanks

skidzy 22:50 26 Sep 07

Hi Techno :-)

Nicky your admin account needs elevating,sorry to sound techincal,just trying to find a step by step guide for you.

As Vista is new to you,there will be several popups from UAC (user account control) these are for your protection but not always needed for everyone.

This link will help you run without all the prompts,however it is not always recommended unless you are confident with your computer.

Activating the super hidden user account click here

Technotiger 22:50 26 Sep 07

Have you looked at the Real Player in your All Programs list (Start>All Programs) to see if it has an un-install option there?

Technotiger 22:55 26 Sep 07

Hi skidzy :-))

nickyjane, if all else fails, or until you do manage to get rid of Real Player (I agree with you there, I don't like Real Player either) open your preferred Media Player and you will probably get the option to make it your default media player.

skidzy 23:00 26 Sep 07

Has real Player created a desktop icon ?

If so follow the procedure at section 2 click here

you should then be able to remove this from the computer.

There is an easier way,but for the life of me...ive forgotten.

brundle 23:01 26 Sep 07

RP will always change the associations back if they weren't specifically de-selected during the installation. The settings have to be changed in RP itself before it will relinquish its all-encompassing grip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced