uninstall pirate xp and replace with proper win98?

spixworth 20:48 28 Sep 03

got new pc with pirate xp installed. can I uninstall by going to control panel, add/remove programs, uninstall xp. ?
I want to replace it with proper win98.
I dont have 98 startup floppy
thanks
kevin

MAJ 20:56 28 Sep 03

You could download a Win 98se bootdisk click here and format the drive, spixworth.

spixworth 21:12 28 Sep 03

thanks maj
have downloaded bootdisk to floppy
now what ?
kevin

woodchip 21:23 28 Sep 03

put a clean floppy disc in the comp and Double click the download file it will create a boot disc. then start the comp with the disc and at A:\> type format C: so it looks like this.

A:\>format C: follow instructions you do not need a label at the end of the format. then restart with floppy disc and choose start with CD-ROM support, I do not know what Your Drive letter was but if it was D:\ it will be E:\ it moves up one until you have windows loaded so after you get to A:\> type X: the X being you drive letter then when it as changed to you CD drive put the Win98 CD in and type setup and press enter follow instructions on screen

froggg 00:05 29 Sep 03

I think that should be format C: /S ,shouldnt it?

Kitz E Kat 08:34 29 Sep 03

Never used a switch /s on a format, just checked only one i can find is /fs = filesystem, and no /s......

Just format C: should do the trick...

Unless you want to mess about with sector size etc.

Yours
Kitz E Kat

graham√ 09:04 29 Sep 03

spixworth, when you download the boot disk, save it to the desktop. This is because it is zipped. Double click to unzip, then send that to the floppy.

Go to 'Command Prompt' in Accessories.

Type in the following, pressing Enter after each line:

cd c:\windows
del *.*
attrib *.* -h ?s ?r ?a
del *.*
deltree system
deltree system32
deltree inf
deltree pif
rename Desktop Desktop.old

This will delete the old files. Now enter 'format c:', etc.

When you boot up to the floppy the CD-ROM will be Drive R, so you will need to enter 'R:', then at the 'R;\' prompt put the 98 in the drive, and enter 'setup'.

graham√ 09:08 29 Sep 03

...Enter after each line:

cd c:\windows

del *.*

attrib *.* -h ?s ?r ?

del *.*

deltree system

deltree system32

deltree inf

deltree pif

rename Desktop Desktop.old

graham√ 09:11 29 Sep 03

attrib *.* -h -s -r -a

The Spires 09:56 29 Sep 03

If your XP system is formatted with NTFS instead of FAT32 it will be more complicated. If you look in My Computer at the side of your drive it will tell you the file system employed on each drive, if not click at the top and enable 'File System'.

Brian-336451 10:29 29 Sep 03

My favourite dos command!!

If you use the /y switch, it won't ask you to confirm each action.

to delete all windows files do this

deltree /y c:\windows\*.*

That'll do the lot leaving you with an empty directory which if you so wish you can

rd c:\windows

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…