uninstall dual boot

RealDopey 16:18 18 Oct 06

When my daughter booted her computer last week it came up with the message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It then went on to tell her to insert her XP disk and press “R” for repair, well what ever she did she now has a dual booting system with two copies of XP home.

My question is can anybody tell how to uninstall the second copy so that I may carry on and repair the original?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pamy 16:27 18 Oct 06

can't help removing two windows, Have a look at my last posting, another Acronis True Image 7 problem

Pamy 16:28 18 Oct 06

another Acronis True Image 7 problem

Pamy 16:29 18 Oct 06

sorry can't send link

Pamy 16:31 18 Oct 06

I had the same error and had to virtually install all win XP then all updates etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:31 18 Oct 06

Boot the PC and look at where windows is installed to.

EG first version should be in C:\windows
second version will be a different folder (c:\windows000 for instance) or even different partition / hard drive.

have a look in the Boot.ini file for the paths to the two diffeernt versions.

Start - run - type msconfig - OK - Boot.ini tab.

RealDopey 16:36 18 Oct 06

What do I do after I have clicked on the boot ini tab please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:44 18 Oct 06

What does the boot.ini say?

should be something like this for a single boot system (XPhome)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

RealDopey 17:08 18 Oct 06

Sorry to be so long but I am running from one room to another an then I had to re login!

this is it.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Its the windows.0 installation that I need to get rid so that I can repair the original.

Phphred 17:22 18 Oct 06

Delete it from within your original drive..ie you can't delete the windows which you are in, but should be able to delete the other. It's a thought!!!

RealDopey 17:23 18 Oct 06

Its the windows I am in that I want to delete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…