Uninstall AVG 6.0 free.

bazza2 23:29 15 Dec 04

I have just received the message from Grisoft that AVG 6 is going out of support, and recommending me to upgrade to AVG 7.

Having done a quick search on this forum, I have noticed that a number of users are experiencing problems with the new version, so I have decided to take the advice of some of you, to uninstall AVG and install Avast instead.

Is there any special way of uninstalling AVG (as there is with zonealarm) or can I simply use the add/remove programs facility?

Regards
Bazza

Djohn 23:50 15 Dec 04

Add/remove from control panel will do the job

Stuartli 09:07 16 Dec 04

You don't need to uninstall AVG 6 - it will be done automatically when you install AVG 7.

I can thoroughly recommend AVG 7, which I've been using since it was first released.

Baslla321 09:10 16 Dec 04

I have also been using AVG7 from the beginning with no problems.

Stuartli 09:24 16 Dec 04

Like Baslla321 I didn't have any problems with AVG 7 (XP Pro) but, installing it on a friend's Windows 98SE system, I did have to add avginet.exe and avgemc.exe to Program Control in ZoneAlarm (latest free version) to enable e-mails to be sent and received after being checked for viruses etc.

bazza2 10:00 16 Dec 04

I have to confess that I have been uncertain whether to stick with AVG or not.
I have used AVG 6, without problems, for a number of years now.
But as I have Win 98se, and having read all the reports of how 'buggy' AVG 7 is, I thought it would be safer to change to Avast, which seems to have many fans.
(I'm not that technically capable, and don't want to get myself into a situation that I couldn't get out of).

Is there any common factor, that would explain why so many people have had problems with upgrading to AVG 7 ??

Stuartli,

If I were to stick with AVG, where do I get those 2 exe files from, and where do I put them??

Jeffers22 10:25 16 Dec 04

AVG 7 fine here. XP pro. Upgraded from Ver 6 - no problems.

jbaker65 11:06 16 Dec 04

I run Win98se and have no problems with AVG7 but I use Sygate personal firewall instead of Zonealarm which gave me problems.

Technotiger 11:12 16 Dec 04

Hi, XP(Home) no problems, I reckon 7 is great, a big improvement on 6. Cheers.

hazelnut 11:32 16 Dec 04

Hi, I have avg 7 running with Win98 se. Lots of trouble with the E-mail scanning. Avg are working on this and hope to come up with a fix as soon as possible. Go to Grisoft avg free forum and you will be able to read the about the problems as they occur.
But don't forget this is a free offering and I am sure will eventually work fine.

bazza2 13:07 16 Dec 04

I will have to reconsider my decision now.
I was of the impression that everyone was experiencing problems, but it appears that this is not the case.

I am now of the opinion that I should backup my C:\ drive using Drive Image, and give AVG 7 a go.
If it causes problems, I can always retore out of the problem and install Avast instead.

Just as a by the way, I am download AVG 7 on a different PC to my own.
When I install the downloaded file on my PC, will it install over the top of AVG 6, or do I need to uninstall beforehand ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…