Unidentified device

Ian in Northampton 19:07 PM 01 Aug 11

I think I used to know the answer to this, but I'm damned if I can remember it. Typically, in Device Manager, if you've got a yellow exclamation mark, there's a driver problem. But if the exclamation mark is against an 'unknown' or 'unidentified' device - how on earth do you go about loading the driver for it? Of course, most of the time, it's very apparent which device is 'broken' because something on your PC isn't working - but supposing your PC appears to have all its functionality - what then? The PC in question is my wife's Acer Aspire 9300 laptop - and it's bugging the hell out of me, even though it seems to be doing what it should.

ams4127 19:12 PM 01 Aug 11

I wonder if it could be something which you have unplugged and no longer use, like a USB drive for example.

I have to admit that my inate sense of cowardice would come to the fore in this case. If it's working as it should, then leave well alone!!

Ian in Northampton 19:15 PM 01 Aug 11

Thanks ams. I don't think it's a device that's been unplugged. You're right, of course, about letting sleeping dogs lie/not fixing what ain't broke - but the pedant in me wants to know what it is and why it shows as an error.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 PM 01 Aug 11

Uninstall and reboot see if windows re-finds it.

It may be reinstalled properly.

You could use something like SIW hereuse the free version, to find all equipment on your machine.

Ian in Northampton 20:21 PM 01 Aug 11

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/. I'll try both your suggestions.

ams4127 22:49 PM 01 Aug 11

Has the machine got a card reader? If it has then that is possibly the problem.

Ian in Northampton 18:17 PM 02 Aug 11

No, ams, it hasn't - but thanks for the suggestion.

onthelimit1 18:33 PM 02 Aug 11

I've found that the free Slimdriver will sometimes identify such a device and offer a driver for it. slimdriver link

lotvic 19:27 PM 02 Aug 11

Perhaps you could work it out by listing what you have got identified and recognised in Device Manager or SIW and then see what else you have got connected (by actually look at the kit, not via Device Manager)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…