Unhiding external drive partition

PapaOoMowMow 00:34 24 Nov 07

Guys, I'm temporarily stumped!
I used to use Partition Magic 8 to partition drives. I used this utility because of it's ability to partition external USB drives.
It quite happily partitioned away on my main machine (a Tosh. laptop) for years. For some reason, it wouldn't work on my Vaio desktop.
I would back up my data then 'hide' the drives to prevent my brother and sisters from goofing around with my precious data.
Now, my Toshiba has melted and I am using an Acer laptop to try and unhide the partitions but it behaves the same way as the Sony desktop.
I unhide the partition and then hit 'apply' to initiate the operation but PM8 says it needs to reboot. If you hit 'cancel' the operation does not proceed. If you hit 'OK', the computer reboots and then returns errors that PM8 has not completed the operation.
Any ideas how to proceed?
I've tried 'TweakUI' and unchecked the drives in 'My Computer' but that had no effect.
I believe that 'Acronis' is a superior partion utility to 'Partition Magic' (AKA Partition Tragic!); does anyone use this program? Can you hide/unhide external drives with this device?
(FYI - the biggest drive I have hidden is a 500GB drive. I have a new 750GB drive that I want to partition and hide also).
Cheers!
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…