unformat hard disk

TatianaK 07:49 01 Nov 03

How is possible unformat hard disk with 4 GB, that was acidently formated?

Gongoozler 08:06 01 Nov 03

Hi TatianaK, I have never come across this one although I'm sure it often happens. As I see it, there are 2 kinds of format, in quick format all that is done is to delete the files by removing the file headers, so it would probably be possible to recover the data using an unerase utility such as this one click here. In a full format all the data is removed, so it is very unlikely that you would be able to recover it without very sophisticated equipment costing a very large amount of money.

keith-236785 08:28 01 Nov 03

even with a full format, the files COULD still be recovered but you would need some software to do it.

just type "unformat" into google and im sure you will find something of use (i just did it and it returned 20,100 results).

good luck

keith-236785 08:36 01 Nov 03

from looking at the first two results, i would try the microsoft unformat command. (its free & if it doesnt work you can try something else.)

goto start/all programs/accessories/command prompt.

type unformat c:/l

(if c is the drive you are trying to unformat, otherwise change the c: to the letter of the drive you want to unformat)

press enter. see what happens

good luck

keith-236785 08:39 01 Nov 03

just one point, if the drive has been used since the format then some files will probably have been overwritten. it should be possibe to get some files back but probably not all of them.

keith-236785 09:56 01 Nov 03

Hi

things don't look so good if you have formatted the windows drive.

you will have to install windows on drive c: (20 gig)

then try to unformat drive d: (4 gig)

or use a win98 startup floppy to boot into dos. and run the command from there.

click here for a win 98 boot up floppy

Diemmess 10:27 01 Nov 03

try the suggestions already made.

But if it is to restore your O/S as a working system - forget it and do a nice fresh install.

keith-236785 16:16 01 Nov 03

Glad to be of assistance, hope you got back the imprtant stuff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…