//some 3rd party need geo

unexplained freezing.

atomic75 20:24 10 May 04

Hi.
Currently running Mainboard K7VZA with 512 ram, Athlon 1300, SB Live!, (installed today) XFXForce 256mb 5200. Main software is Norton Internet Security 2004, Windows XP. I think the problem is hardware based however as I have the problem with a combination of these hardware and software products.
The problem of random freezing has been going on for the last five weeks, and I have ruled out gfx and soundcards.

What I want to know though is: could it be memory-related or even a processor-motherboard issue?

Rtus 21:42 10 May 04

hows the memory made up? & is its brand & speed supported by your board ?I buy from crucial this guarantees no memory conflicts.Other thoughts are have you changed video cards since buying the unit,and finally Id prefer to see it without Norton security on the system,however other may disagree.Id'e certainly try disabling that to see if it stabilizes the system, before searching through the hardware probabilities.

woodchip 21:45 10 May 04

it may be temp, have you got a PChealth in BIOS to check the CPU temp

atomic75 07:59 11 May 04

Have tried with & without NIS. Memory is all different makes, two 128 and a 256. All are p133.

Have just installed monitor, if anything system isn't hot enough :)

Have tried with several gfx cards, but worked fine with previous until 4 wks ago. Now freezes with new one I installed yesterday, so situation is the same.

johnnyrocker 08:25 11 May 04

update drivers? what do the event logs show for about the time this happens.?

johnny.

Rtus 09:13 11 May 04

Memory is all different makes ..Try getting a sim that will do the job . mixing mem strips usually creates havoc..& unexplained (but not now)freezes are one of its clues.

The Spires 09:14 11 May 04

If you have an onboard sound chip is it disabled in the bios?

atomic75 09:31 11 May 04

OK, I'm not familiar with Event log - what should I be looking for?

atomic75 12:01 12 May 04

Thanks, I removed my 128mb sticks, runs without freezing now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…