Unexpected updates (?)

Creditman 18:51 17 Nov 04

In last 2 days, soon after logging on, a window pops up headed "windows installer" in the blue header & "preparing to install...." in the text box. Another similar message about product drivers then appears. So far I have not allowed these to continue (with difficulty, having to hit the cancel button several times) being wary of their origin. Can anyone explain these please & tell me if its ok to let them continue ? This is on Windows XP Home & Norton AV & Zonealarm are switched on. Many thanks. PS I wonder if these might be the result of my using the latest PCA cover disc AxeLab Win Speedup which told me I could safely get rid of a load of files....

Buchan 35 19:06 17 Nov 04

Hi Creditman,
I use XP Pro, not far removed from yours and every time I check Windows Updates I get no updates. Have you installed SP2 and if so have you requested to be informed of new updates?My personal view is that you have`nt so I suggest looking for (in your browser)Spybot and AdAware
and then keep them updated. They`re freeware

Creditman 12:18 18 Nov 04

Buchan 35 - Thanks, but SP2 is installed & I am notified of updates. Adaware is kept uptodate. I have also checked & found there are no critical updates waiting to be installed.Since I started this thread I have cancelled the changes made with WinSpeedup & so far there has been no repetition of the problem. So - fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…