Unexpected System Crash

spuds 11:03 19 Jun 05

Recently I have been experiencing sudden system/computer crashes. Everything seems to be working fine, then suddenly the system crashes then reboots.This seems to happen more, when I am using BB.

Can anyone give any clues as to why this is happening, and what can I do to solve the problem. Haven't installed any recent hardware or software, but I am probably due for a new updated motherboard, as the one in use now, is about four years old. Using XP Home.Thanks as usual for any replies.

Joe R 11:18 19 Jun 05

spuds,
go to control panel-system-advanced-startup and recovery-settings, and untick the "automatically restart" box and apply.

This should result in a Bsod, instead of a reboot, but will give you the system error, which will show what is required to stop it.

AndySD 11:20 19 Jun 05

Are you running an up to date antivirus?
If not there is a free one click here

Also try running A Squared to check for spyware or a trojan click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:23 19 Jun 05

System crashes = (in no particular order)

1. conflicting drivers or other software (update drivers)

2. bad memory (run memtest click here)

3. overheating (run motherboard monitor click here)

4. harddrive full (run click here and defrag )

spuds 14:36 19 Jun 05

Thanks Guys.

Joe R-- Will try that.

Andysd-- All antivirus and spyware upto date.Did checks over the last couple of days and everything now seems okay. a2squared did find two malware, which have been cleaned and appeared reasonably harmless.

Fruit Bat--[1]Driver check via click here and everything spot on.[2]Will download the programme and run a check mem test.[3]That is a theory that I suspected.Have run check and all seems well. Will download your link for second opinion.[4]Hard-drives are okay.Plenty of space, and regular defrag checks say no problems.Already using CCleaner on a weekly basis.

Since placing this problem, had two further crashes. When the system crashes a quick flash message now appears stating something about shutting down due to 'ISSASS.exe'?.After this message, the computer completely shuts down, ans doesn't reboot. Also tried to run XP help and support, and error message states, cannot find 'HELPCTR.exe'.So no help and support page available.

VoG II 14:44 19 Jun 05
  Joe R 14:45 19 Jun 05

Spuds,
would suggest downloading and running stinger for first problem.

click here

And have a look here for second.

click here

spuds 15:26 19 Jun 05

Thanks again guys.

Downloaded programmes, and temperatures are fine, so that rules out heat problems.Downloaded startmenuhelp.reg and it shown as icon, so I will check that. MemTest was downloaded, and now seems to have vanished from system!.Stinger likewise!.

Had two further crashes since 14.36.Both came up with 'Issass.exe' message before sudden complete shutdown.Unticked restart box, so see what happens there, after next crash.

What a way to spend a nice Sunday afternoon, when the sun lounger is beckoning :o)Thanks again guys for the help/advice so far.

AndySD 15:42 19 Jun 05

Try Trends Sysclean

Trend Micro Sysclean
click here

Trend Micro Signature File
click here

Download it and the signature file, boot into safe mode and run it.

Joe R 16:06 19 Jun 05

spuds,

is the remote assistance box in, control panel-system-remote, unticked.?

spuds 19:39 19 Jun 05

Found MemTest and stinger within the depths of 'Get Right' downloader. MemTest doesn't want to play [yet], and stinger didn't find anything.

AndySD-Have just downloaded Trend links, and with give them a go.

Joe R- Will check remote out.The link you and VOG gave, working on that.

System hasn't crashed [fingers crossed now] for the last couple of hours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…