Unexpected closing of programs

GJC228 01:14 01 Mar 05

I have just started to have problems with Word 2003 in that it suddenly gives an error message - Windows has a problem and Word must be closed. It saves the contents of the file as a recovered file but then the problem re-occurs. The same problem occurs when I try to printing from another non-office program and Microsoft Autoroute gives the same message without opening.

System restore points don't seem to want to restore. My anti-virus software is up to date (Norton) plus a check using Panda has been made for a 'second opinion'. All Windows XP Home critical updates are installed.

The last thing that was installed was Microsoft Office Document Image Writer. If this is causing the problem how can it be uninstalled?

Any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 07:00 01 Mar 05

Try a couple of things:

Windows system file checker:

start

run

sfc /scannow

You need the XP CD.

Secondly, with MSWork: try detect and repair from the help menu.

GJC228 09:51 01 Mar 05

I tried sfc but it did not appear to find any problems to fix.

I use Office 2003 and not MSWorks but took your advice and tried to Repair. Word closed before I could even drill down the menu the first time but second time the 'repair' started before the I'm sorry the program has to close message appeared.

I also ran Norton System Works which repaired a few errors but the problem still exists.

I'm now going to re-start the computer to see if anything has really changed for the better.

quack 10:06 01 Mar 05

Have you updated the Office 2003 programme? It may fix your problem if you do so.

Diodorus Siculus 13:52 01 Mar 05

One other option is to delete the standard template - Word will create a new one:

search for a file named normal.dot

.DOT is the extension for a template as you probably know.

Rename to normal.old (or anything else you want!).

REstart Word.

GJC228 17:18 01 Mar 05

I had aleady updated with the service pack but did apply the small updates that Windows Office Update suggested.

I also found normal.dot and deleted it. Unfortunately the problem is still there.

Jak_1 17:24 01 Mar 05

Similar was happening to me and with some java based web sites. AVG found 2 trojans in the system restore folders. Once I had cleared them, and lost restore points I cleared all the java files and then re-installed java and all was fine.
Seems the trojans had corrupted the java.

GJC228 02:22 02 Mar 05

How does one go about that? I've had Norton AV and Panda scan for viruses and none were found. Norton is automatically kept up to date anyway so if I've got a trojan it has by-passed Norton and not been seen by either program.

I'd like to do something though as it is now stopping Corel Draw from opening and Adobe Photoshop Eleements as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos