Unerasing files in Windows XP

Rocky Horror 09:37 28 Feb 03

Under Windows 98, if I accidently deleted a file, I could usually get it back with the unerase utility or using Norton Systemworks.

XP does not seem to provide this. Having deleted the contents of a Smartmedia card I need desperately to get it back (it has Mrs Horror's holiday pics on it!) Is there a simple way or do I need to spend money on a sophisticated program?

jazzypop 11:21 28 Feb 03

Do you have Norton SystemWorks already installed? If so, it works just the same - simply right-click the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, and run the Unerase Wizard.

If you don't, recently erased files should still be in the standard Windows Recycle Bin.

However, if you deleted them directly from the Smartmedia card, Windows will not have retained a copy (I believe).

Rocky Horror 16:14 28 Feb 03

Jazzypop,

Thanks for your response. I did delete the files whilst the Smartcard was in the USB card reader (recognised as drive f:). As you say, Windows does not divert them to the Recycle Bin, nor does Norton. Via another source, I have found a utility via Google which is Freeware and will supposedly recover the files for me. I will try this tonight and report the result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…