Understanding a web control panel

Revi 21:30 21 Sep 05

At the outset let me clarify that I am totally new to web publishing.

A few days back when, through email, I first got the details of my web control panel such as URL, login, password I rushed to enter into my remote site with the help of these 3 data and published my website from FP2003 without much difficulty. Yesterday Taran was absolutely right when he pointed out that the remote server may not actually support FP Extensions even though the host may have confirmed so. This was solved later.

Having now settled down a bit I opened my control panel once again and found there are things in it I do not quite understand. Could some one please be kind enough to explain to me what the following mean? 1. Physical path: c:\\Websites\594\mycompany.com. I mean, if without the knowledge of this physical path I could already have published my site and am repeatedly updating it successfully then what is it good for?

Then there are these folder name: click here company.com, Username: fp7500, Password: xyz. When, how and where do I use these?

Would appreciate a detailed reply.

Revi 21:35 21 Sep 05

The "Click here" has appeared quite inadvertently, it should have instead read "h t t p : my company"

Forum Editor 00:34 22 Sep 05

everything looks confusing, but it will gradually fall into place - don't try to run before you can walk. Is your site visible on the Internet? If it is, then you can relax and take things one by one.

The physical path to your site on your local hard drive - that's the one on your computer called 'C' - is simply the address of the folder in which you store the files. It's this folder from which you publish the site to the server.

On the server space, FrontPage itself will handle the creation of the various files and folders it needs, so you don't need to worry about that at this stage. Later on you can, if you are so inclined, take time to find out about the various special files that are found in all FrontPage webs, but I suggest you leave that for now, and concentrate on getting your head around the basics of site editing and publication. Let the software take the strain of handling the complexities, after all, that's what it's there for.

If you can design and publish your pages from FrontPage, and your site is visible on the Internet you have reached the first milestone.

Taran 03:14 22 Sep 05

I'd agree completely with Forum Editor.

Other than perhaps creating email addresses and other similar tweaks, your control panel will seldom be used and most of your work will be done from within FrontPage itself.

As long as you have FrontPage able to log into your site using the address/username/password combination supplied by your host you can work on the site until the cows come home.

Unless you really want to get into your web statistics, or create a server-side database, or edit file and folder permissions on the web server (you can also do this from within FrontPage) then there is not that much need to go into detail about the control panel.

If you can name the control panel you have on your hosts server then some tutorial links could be supplied. Keep in mind that the most common form of hosting on a web server is shared hosting. This is where your site lives in a directory (folder) on the web server. I could also have one or more sites on the same server as yours, and so could hundreds of other people.

Each site has username/password protection to restrict user access and each one has a domain name pointing to its location and the files contained therein.

Unlike a standard folder on your own computer, the directory that holds your site files has features peculiar to a web site and the web server operating system software allows internet specific languages and files to be processed and served to browsers that request them.

Take a breath, relax and enjoy the experience. FrontPage on its own is an all-in solution. As long as you have a reasonable image editor there really isn't much I can think of that I'd like to do in web design that FrontPage can't handle - in fact, if I had to choose just one web authoring program it would very probably be FrontPage 2003. Dreamweaver is superb, but FrontPage can do things Dreamweaver hasn't even dared think of yet.

Anyway, if you want general help with your control panel post the name of it for us to see (cPanel, Plesk or whatever) and check out your web hosts own help pages where you will find a lot of helpful information.

Revi 06:36 22 Sep 05

You two are great guys! Thanks & kind regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…