Understanding network explorer icons

robber789 16:47 30 Jun 10

Hi guys - I wonder if you can solve a mystery for me?

If I open up 'Network' from my win 7 desktop, some of the entries have more than one icon.

e.g. HP1 (my second computer on the network) - if I click on the one that looks like a monitor, it opens a normal windows explorer screen and I can access and copy files and folders within it.

However, if I double-click any of the icons which look like something or other with a filmstrip and musical note attached, including one of my 2 NAS drives - then a Windows Media Player screen opens up, but I can't access the drive itself (so I can't copy anything to it)

This is windows 7. In Vista, all of my NAS boxes used to have 2 icons - one 'real' and one Windows Media player - but now even my vista machine has stopped showing the 'real' icons!

Have you any idea what's going on here?

Any help appreciated!

Rob

BurrWalnut 14:34 02 Jul 10

It could be something as simple as the shortcut being deleted from the display. Go to Network and expand Network in the left pane. If the computer is there, are the folders showing when it is expanded? If so, just drag the shortcut(s) to the main display.

Alternatively, type \\computername in the Address bar and press Enter, does that produce anything?

robber789 16:52 02 Jul 10

?!**&??!!

I knew this was going to end in a 'Doh!' moment.

Following your first suggestion above, they're all there - in the left pane.....

This has been bugging me for weeks - I can't express -

1. how grateful I am to you
2. how stupid I feel...

Thanks again!

rob

BurrWalnut 18:22 02 Jul 10

I’m glad it worked.

As that Chris Thingy says “It’s only easy if you know the answers”.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…