Understanding different types of RAM

spras 13:41 31 Aug 07

I am aware of importance of buying good RAM, but as with most computer parts the different specs can be confusing.

What is the difference between Buffered, Unbuffered and Registered RAM? and which is best?

Difference between Non-ECC and ECC?

cl=x? (where x is an integer). Is higher better?

ddr2-xxx? is higher better?

All these terms I found on the crucial website: here is a typical listing:

1GB

CT12864AA53E DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

ambra4 13:56 31 Aug 07

Go to this and take a read

click here

spras 14:24 31 Aug 07

Didn't really answer any of my questions, thanks anyway

palinka 14:37 31 Aug 07

If you are buying RAM go to Crucial, download their diagnostic tool on the computer you want the RAM for, and run it. That will show you which type, etc of RAM will fit your computer.

spras 15:08 31 Aug 07

Well im buying for a system that isn't made yet, but its not so much that. Any DDR2 RAM will fit in any DDR2 mobo, its determining what is the best/fastest RAM so I can work out a good point where price meets performance.

Thalmus 15:22 31 Aug 07

ECC - Error Correction Code. This means it uses a parity to check to make sure data in memory is correct. ECC is generally used for srevers and not really needed for a desktop.

CL - CAS (column address strobe) latency. Basically how long it takes for a command to sent to be process. Multiply CL numbers a-on a single stick is for the first and last chip on the stick and average. You don;t really needto pay attention to this value, i've not noticed differnces in speed. Lower is better

DDR2 xxx - This is the clock speed of the memory, higher is better.

The Golden rule is if you get multiple sticks then make sure they are all the sam.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5