Underclocking??

loser7 20:42 02 Apr 05

Could somebody please tell me is it ok to underclock a processor and if so by how much or is there a limit. I understand this will affect the performance but i have a 2.6 cpu and i need it to be clocking under 2.1 to install the version of windows 98 i have.

dan11 20:57 02 Apr 05

Sorry M8, but as DieSse has explained. The gigabyte GA- 8SG800 does not support the celeron d 2.66Ghz cpu. click here

Although the board does support 400Mhz, 533Mhz and 800Mhz cpu's it is unfortunate that yours is not listed.:-(

The manual is at click here

There seems to be no motherboard jumpers for the fsb. it seems it is automatic to the bios.

Sorry I can't seem to give you any good news on this:-(

loser7 21:01 02 Apr 05

I have the cpu on another board (although i did want to swap them) and i would like to underclock it on the board it works on if possible

dan11 21:23 02 Apr 05

So what is the make and model of the board you wish to underclock the cpu on?

I don't know if you could under clock a celeron d, you may be able to drop it down to 400Mhz.:-)

DieSse 00:54 03 Apr 05

I don't understand why you need to underclock a CPU to run Win98 - can you explain where you found this information please.

goonerbill © ® 01:01 03 Apr 05

????? underclock CPU so you can load win98 onto pc. i agree with DieSse, where did you here about this jem of a fact from, most intreged to read this artical, as win98 should run on all the latest systems (not to sure about athlon64's though).

Forum Editor 01:01 03 Apr 05

do I. Why do you think you have to do this, loser7?

loser7 15:03 03 Apr 05

Ok guys this may seem stupid but thats prob because i am clueless when it come to computers. I thought underclocking might work as i have 2.6 celeron D ASRock P4 motherboard and i tried to install win98, it seemed to install ok then when it boots i receive this error message: While initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.
I was given a link to microsoft site where i read this is caused by trying to install my win98 on a computer with a cpu that runs at 2.2ghz or faster. In my ignorance i thought if i could underclock my cpu this would be a quick solution.

DieSse 20:24 03 Apr 05

Give us the link to the note you looked at - I'd like to read it, please.

VoG II 20:33 03 Apr 05

Previous thread click here

sidecar sid 20:40 03 Apr 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…