//some 3rd party need geo

Under the TV, DVD recorder Choice

Pamy 17:23 18 Dec 04

Hello everyone,
Happy Christmas to you all.
This is not a computer question for you,but I hope some of you may help me.
My hubby and I are thinking of buying a DVD recoder to put under our TV in order to record TV programs. We have a Freeview Box conected to the TV and it only has one scart outlet(to the TV).
My questions are:1) What DVD recorder would you sugest we consider in order to record from the Freeview box while watching other channels?
2) can a digital video camera be connected to it to record to disk ?
3) Can any editing of the video be done? Pamy

Salinger 17:31 18 Dec 04

You cannot record one Freeview channel while watching another (unless you use the TV tuner to watch a terrestrial channel) You can get STBs with a built in HDD for recording. You could also get a second STB. As for Editing, I don't know but I think it is doubtful unless you record or copy to the HDD on your computer.

TomJerry 17:32 18 Dec 04

(1) Lite-on LVW 5006 Dual Format DVD Recorder DVD+ / - R/RW (abot £175) is very good

if you run out scart connection, just buy one scart swtich from Maplin

Sansburys is selling one at £99, but do not know if it is good

jagx400 17:37 18 Dec 04

I have the Philips dvd610 and cant wait to get shot of it, It takes no notice of the times I set in timer mode, decides to keep displaying error whenever I press any key on the remote only an on/off puts that right. Wish I had gone for the Liteon, everyone I know who has one loves it.

Salinger 17:43 18 Dec 04

BTW, Index had an excellent Scart switching box for £9.95 - they might still sell it. Called the Easy Life by Tamashi (three scart inputs one output).

Pamy 17:48 18 Dec 04

salinger/TomJerry,

thanks for reply, but would you both ellaberate a little and explane what STBs are and, how would we use a scart switch? Also, as you have pointed out it is not possible to record one program while watching another on the freeview box, can you tell me why this is so because eventually we will all be digital and will want to do this as we do now on terestial?

Sorry to be so dim, Pamy

Pamy 17:57 18 Dec 04

thanks for your responce, Pamy

Salinger 17:58 18 Dec 04

STB is Set Top Box or Freeview Box. You can only view one Channel and record another on Terrestrial because your VCR has a Tuner incorporated and records from that while you use the TV Tuner to watch a different on.

It will be possible to do the same on Freeview once all TV sets have a Freeview tuner incorporated and your DVD Recorder also has one incorporated.

A scart switching box lets you input 3 (or more) devices and manually choose which one to view. Sophisticated ones do it electronically but you won't get one for a tenner!

Pamy 18:03 18 Dec 04

salinger, thanks for info, much clearer to me now.

Many thanks to you all, Pamy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…