Undemanded instances of IE6 in XPHome

Brian-336451 19:39 15 Jan 03
  Brian-336451 19:39 15 Jan 03

I'm running IE6 (6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1) and have noticed that since I upgraded it to SP1 I am getting from time to time a minimised IE window on my task bar.

This window appears with a hyphen a la '-Internet Explorer'. When I click on it to maximise it, it doesn't seem to be running any page or url or anything in fact.

I'm just about permanently on line with cable broadband running Norton Internet Security which gives everything a clean bill of health (including full virus check today), Ad-Aware gives clear and there's nothing I can see out of the ordinary in MSConfig.

Has anyone had anything similar?

jazzypop 19:51 15 Jan 03

It's most likely the shell of a pop-up window, from when you were browsing. A common trick by advertisers.

Don't be concerned, unless you notice it *before* you have started surfing.

Brian-336451 20:15 15 Jan 03

I must admit, it doesn't seem as if its caused by 'enemy action' but it pays to be a bit careful.

Internet Security also blocks a lot of pop-ups apparently, it may of course be related to that.

thanks jazzypop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…