Undeletable Files on hard drive

wescliff 23:09 22 Feb 14

I recently had to bin a laptop that was past rescuing, but as it had a 1Tb drive in it that was recovered and put in a caddy. There was still a heck of a lot on it that I want to keep so I decided not to format, but simply delete all of the old operating system and programs. Problem is there are a great many files that won't delete and keep telling me I need permission from TrustedInstaller before they will go. So I go through the motions - change ownership - apply permissions etc, and they still won't go. Just keep telling me I need permission from myself. I think the problem is that my username on the binned laptop, and that on the desktop I am using are the same, and I don't know which is which. I've been lucky with some folders, and individual files seem to go ok, but there are 1000's of these. I have all the rubbish in one folder and would simply like to delete that. Please can anyone help. The only other option is to move what I want to keep elsewhere, format and move it back again, but that would take weeks. Thanks

Mr Mistoffelees 10:11 23 Feb 14

MechKB, use the hyperlink button to enter URLs, like this: Unlocker.

Batch 11:56 23 Feb 14

Have you considered copying all of the stuff that you want off the disk, then deleting all the partitions off the disk, re-partitioning and then copying the stuff you want to keep back on to the disk. A much cleaner solution IMHO.

wescliff 14:44 23 Feb 14

Thank you. There are reports of Unlocker installing other things as well, so will dig deeper before trying it. I have thought of the format/partition options but there is so much to move and move back again. There is also the 30Gb OEM recovery partition on the rescued drive. As far as I know I will need to use Diskpart to sort this one out, unless anyone knows different.

wescliff 15:05 23 Feb 14

OK, installed Unlocker - avoided the toolbar etc and have now got rid of 12gb of rubbish that wouldn't go yesterday. Thank you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…