Uncooperative desktop icons

Digital 20:30 23 Jul 06

I use XP with SP2. I want to reposition 2 icons on my desktop. If I left click & drag them across they stay in the new place until next boot, then they're back where they came from! If I right click & drag, then click "Move here", they jump back to where they came from. Any ideas why this is happening please?

ArrGee 20:33 23 Jul 06

Right click on the desktop, click on 'Arrange Icons By' and uncheck 'Auto Arrange'

woodchip 20:34 23 Jul 06

Right click your Desktop there are several things you can do with icon's including lock them

Digital 20:43 23 Jul 06

Thanks ArrGee & woodchip. Auto arrange is unticked, Align to grid is ticked as is Show desktop icons. I've tried playing with these but nothing fixes the problem. The only thing I have just done, which I should have thought of before starting this request, was to delete the shortcut icon & form a new one where I wanted it. I'll see if it stays there when I boot up tomorrow!

SANTOS7 20:59 23 Jul 06

To lock your desktop icons into place, first arrange it carefully the way you want it to be, then open up the registry editor. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD Value name NoSaveSettings and press the Enter key. Right-click on the new NoSaveSettings item and select Modify. Enter 1 in the Value data box. After this, whenever you restart Windows, your settings will return to their current state.

Before any registry tweek backup first,good luck...

Digital 21:11 23 Jul 06

Thanks Santos7, I'll try that if the new icon misbehaves.

Digital 20:57 24 Jul 06

I did that Santos7 & it has locked the icons in place. If I want to unlock them, do I put 0 in the Value data box?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…