Uncontrolled modem dialling

par4me 14:53 19 Jun 03

Our Golf Club has two networked computers.
One is connected to the BT network and is set up with One-tel as the service provider. Before the 2nd PC was networked to it we had no problems. We now get incessant dialling without anyone using Outlook Express. I cannot detect whether anything is happening on Outlook Express when the modem is dialling in this way (other than when I am specifically using Outlook Express)
Any advice would be welcome.

Duffer

AngeTheHippy 16:14 19 Jun 03

now what I'm gonna suggest is probably a waste of time but.......do you have anti-virus s/w installed?? Some years back, I got a worm virus via e-mail, at a time when I had no anti-virus s/w. The nature of the thing was, every time I powered up, I as presented with the dial-up screen encouraging me to go online. When i DID go online, I tried to go to various a/v sites, Norton, McAfee etc., and as SOON as I typed the addy either on the address bar or even i search engine, the modem dropped the line..the worm KNEW I was looking for a way to kill it off

Just a thought,
AngeTheHippy

Jester2K II 16:48 19 Jun 03

1) Do you have anti virus?
2) if so, is it up to date?

Also try Ad-aware click here and SpyBot click here to search for anything like diallers.

bambam005 22:16 19 Jun 03

Get rid of any dial up networking connections that you don't need on both pc's ( or disable ) , then recreate the ones that you do need , taking careful note of any usernames and passwords you will want in the future .

As Jester2K II says run at least Adaware also try click here , these will catch anything suspect .

On Outlook Express also check what your accounts are using as a connection , in the properties of the account/Connection Tab - it may say 'any connection available',if so , change this to the appropriate ISP ( whatever is on your icon on the desktop 'my connection' etc. )

mammak 22:33 19 Jun 03

par4me, hi mate give spybot a go it,s the best, adware is ok, but dont pick up anthing as much as spybot doe,s you might have a wee nasty dailer in there somwhere, spybot should get rid!! regard,s Mammak

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…