Unbootable Xp Home

CR93Pete 14:21 24 Oct 03

After help with non existant Administrator password, I still cannot get XP to start, I have run fixboot, then fixmbr, then chkdisc, (found one error). After running each command it still won't boot up, even fron disc. Has any one else had this problem? I don't want to have to format the drive and re-install unless I really have as I don't have all of it backed up. and what is more important I don't know what has caused it. If I format the drive that information will be lost and I don't need it to happen again.

Chegs ® 14:32 24 Oct 03

Instead of using the Recovery Console,continue with the setup XP option and XP scans the drive to see if any other versions exist,it then offers the REPAIR option.Use this instead,it reloads just the Windows folder(but you then need to re-d/l the Updates,and patches again)

howard60 17:41 24 Oct 03

1 of my pcs will not boot with any usb cables plugged in. Dont know why.

Chegs ® 00:21 25 Oct 03

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Chegs
Yes we tried that as well ! without sucess I'm afraid. It just shows the Windows
XP screen with the tree green dots going past with occassional stops but won't
go any further.

How long are you waiting,as XP might be having difficulty organising itself?

I had major hassles recently and Recovery Console(if I could get it to work instead of a black screen and nothing happening for over an hour) wouldn't fix the probs,so I usually use Repair instead.It replaces the windows folder requiring reregistering and the product key typed in,and asks(during Repair operation)if you agree to the EULA by pressing F8.If your not having to do all this,then you aren't running a Repair of XP properly.If you use Repair,ANY probs you were having getting into windows disappear as the Drivers are all Default/Generic ones that are happy to live together.... :-) ...Once a Repair has "worked" you will need the motherboard drivers cd,to load "updated" drivers,reinstall of graphics card(if used)etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…