Unauthorised/automatic Internet Dial up ?

Tinkey Winkey 00:27 28 Aug 03

I right click on the 'PC/Internet connected 'icon in the sytem tray to disconnect from the web while I go and do something else.

I leave the web pages up so I can come back to them later.

The PC tries to reconnect of it's own accord it would seem? If I cancel the 'connecting window' it will just try & reconnect?

I am currently pulling out the modem lead inbetween internet sessions so that I'm not online when I'm not there, but this is not very satisfactory!

Is this normal IE6 behaviour or is there a setting somewhere so I can stop this?
Could this be someone trying to access my PC?

I don't have a firewall yet(have orderd one).
I have run Spybot to check for Diallers.
Running Win Me.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

sil_ver 00:42 28 Aug 03

You have probably recently installed a program that wants to dial up when your PC is running. It could be anything from an antivirus prog to a P2P like kazaa or gnutella or the Cnet downloader. If you can identify it, disable it in msconfig/startup progs

The Sack 01:04 28 Aug 03

If you right click on the IE icon on the desktop and select properties, conections and click the radio button that says "never dial a connection" your PC will not dial the internet again without your say so :-) it was probably just a program looking for an update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…