Unable to view web page

lpl56407 18:28 07 Sep 05

I have been unable to access click here all day. Get Page Cannot be Displayed. Still getting it.
Anyone care to try and let me know please.
tia

johnnyrocker 18:37 07 Sep 05

no probs here what is your os? check security settings and firewall.

johnny.

lpl56407 05:45 08 Sep 05

Thanks for trying. I have also checked with others and they are OK. I still have the same problem. Strange as this is my 'default home page' and as far as I am aware nothing has changed.
I am using Windows XP Firewall and have tried turning it off but still the same.
I have Visual Route which allows me to enter the URL and would then normally show all the network hops between me and the destination site but I am getting:
"Starting DNS Lookup" and then "click here cannot be found"
So looks like a DNS problem but I am at a loss as to what to do?

octal 06:25 08 Sep 05

Try checking you hosts file, unless you are blocking sites you should only have one entry in there. This is the location of the hosts file for Windows XP

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

And look for the file called hosts without an extension. Open it in Notepad and the only entry you should see is:

127.0.0.1 localhost

If there are any others below local host they can be removed.
Some add blocking software uses the hosts file to block adverts.

lpl56407 06:33 08 Sep 05

Changed DNS settings in TCP/IP to specify a specific DNS instead of 'automatically' and lo and behold I can access the web page.
Cup of tea and back to bed.
Thanks to all for input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…