unable to use a number of O/S progs and features

bradwell boy 23:05 02 May 07

I run Xp on my machine. Download a bit, but not too much. Did a virus and system check and some trojans were found. Appeared to be in winrar I had downloaded. Let the antivirus do its biz and then uninstalled and deleted what I had.
Now I am having probs in using Media Player, System Restore, Windows Update and possibly others I haven't tried yet.
Click on an mpg or wmv and nothing happens. Cannot open Media Player. Windows update goe to MS website but the screen is white. System Restore does the same.
I have used Tune up utilites to do a system restore, but no change. I have virus scanned, system checked and used Ad-aware but nothing is bothering my stsem.
Any clues out there if there is anything I can do. My PC did not come with an O/s disc but I did create a backup disc when new.

woodchip 23:09 02 May 07

suggest you load the backup

Kate B 23:19 02 May 07

Full scans with all the usual stuff, and try sfc /scannow. You might have corrupted some system files.

bradwell boy 23:59 02 May 07

Done the sfc /scannow Kate B. Progressed through it. I was away from the machine when it finished, but no message left to indicate any prob!

Kate B 00:24 03 May 07

Try doing Add or Remove Windows Components, which I think you access through the control panel (sorry, have had Vista for a few months and am actually on a Mac at the moment so can't be more specific). You might need to borrow an XP disk from someone for that.

bradwell boy 21:42 03 May 07

Kate B - manages to get hold of an XP disc but only components it suggest installing are minor one. Have run it but makes no difference. Beginning to feel I will have to copy a lot of my docs,pictures etc onto disc and do as woodchip suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac