Unable to use AntiVirus or AntiSpyware

Barnacarry 15:44 23 Aug 08

Over the last two weeks I have tried to scan my computer using Spybot or SUPERantispyware or Spyware Detective (on Advanced System Optimizer software), all at different times, but on every occasion regardless of which one I use, about halfway through the scans, my computer shuts down.
On restarting everything seems fine but I can't complete a full scan. Any ideas anyone?.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:49 23 Aug 08

Try starting in safe mode (keep tapping the F8 key on boot) and scan from there.

G

Barnacarry 15:54 23 Aug 08

Thanks, GANDALF <|:-)>, I will give it a go now and let you know the result.

Barnacarry 16:08 23 Aug 08

Unfortunately, I can't start in Safe Mode. I tried twice but each time it seized up after the entry 'Windows\system32\drivers\Mup.sys'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 23 Aug 08

XP or Vista?
I think you may have to do a repair install do you have a CD?

Barnacarry 16:24 23 Aug 08

Hi, Fruit Bat /\0/\. I have XP and also the CD but in the past when I've tried to do a repair it's asked for the Administrator password and for the life of me I haven't a clue what it is, where it is or if I ever made one. Any idea where it's kept?

Terry Brown 16:28 23 Aug 08

If you download SIW.exe (System Information for Windows), look on the top line for software, at the bottom you will see secrets. There are your passwords.
Terry

Barnacarry 16:30 23 Aug 08

Thanks, Terry, I'll try that now.

Barnacarry 16:37 23 Aug 08

Hi, Terry. Just downloaded SIW and no luck, I'm afraid. 3 refer to my OE Account and the 4th to my PC Advisor AutoComplete Password but nothing regarding Administrator password.

provider 2 16:46 23 Aug 08

This might help:

click here

Barnacarry 17:01 23 Aug 08

Hi, provider 2. This looks promising, if a bit technical, but I've just printed off the instructions and will give it a go tomorrow as 'Her downstairs' is shouting at me to get ready to go to a 40th birthday party (I remember them well). Thanks to everyone for your help and I'll let you know what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…