unable to upgrade to XP

David-270861 21:38 12 Oct 04

Help! I am having major problems in upgrading to XP My friends PC which ran ME crashed on him & would only occasionally boot up in safe mode. At other times it froze after the ME boot options menu leaving a blank screen - no cursor - nothing
ME recovery disc did not help & was unable to do a system restore from any of the restore points available. Eventually wiped the drive (scandisk reported no errors) & tried to do a clean install of XP. XP setup only gets as far as hardware check and prompting for f6 for drivers & f2 for repair it then either stops showing just a blue screen with windows setup on it & does nothing else - this occurs with 3 different XP discs tried 2 home & 1 pro or it stops with the message "An unexpected error (0) occured at Line 1768 in D:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c.
POST runs OK & the bios is running with default setup
Processor is Athlon 1150 Mhz with 512 Mb RAM
Motherboard is a K7S5A & LG CD RW drive & DVD ROM drive fitted also
Any thoughts will be much appreciated

Have had similar problem on several occassions, for different reasons. Most have been hardware faults (motherboard / RAM /processor). I have also had the problem with the CPU simply running slightly hot, so first plan would be to look at the CPU temperature. If it is anything over about 50c, then upgrade the fan. If not, then I would suggest the crash in ME was caused by faulty hardware, in which case you will need to sort that out first. Have you tried installing ME back on the system to see if that works?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5