unable uninstall 'Quake 4 Demo'

Cesare 08:04 29 Jan 06

I tried via ADD/REMOVE & direct from Quake 4 uninstall but it just cant uninstall. Is there any other safe way please? Could it be that another Demo, made by the same firm, Activision, is using parts of the same software?

AndySD 08:09 29 Jan 06

My first course of action here would be to reinstall the Demo then tru the Uninstall again.

Andsome 09:13 29 Jan 06

There is click here free trial offered on this software.

Andsome 09:14 29 Jan 06

There is click here free trial offered on this software.

Cesare 11:29 29 Jan 06

AndySD
I tried to install but overwriting it would cause potential risk of corrupted files, I was told while trying it out. I will investigate Andsome's suggestion.
Thanks

AndySD 11:53 29 Jan 06

If Andsome's sugestion doesnt work just install the demo again ignore the warning as you already have a corrupted file from the first install (the uninstaller)

Cesare 13:38 29 Jan 06

AndySD I tried and reinstalled it but I could still not uninstall it. I used the same downloaded copy which I had. I wonder whether if I download a fresh copy of Quake and installed it then try uninstaling.
The Andsome suggested software has to be ordered and a CD sent and the price is not cheap.

Cesare 13:38 29 Jan 06

AndySD I tried and reinstalled it but I could still not uninstall it. I used the same downloaded copy which I had. I wonder whether if I download a fresh copy of Quake and installed it then try uninstaling.
The Andsome suggested software has to be ordered and a CD sent and the price is not cheap.

Andsome 08:41 30 Jan 06

Would you be happy to use the registry?? If so follow these instructions.

Empty the recycle bin, this is important.

Then open Windows Explorer, open Program files and delete folders for the offending program. Go to Start/Search and enter the name of the program, then delete any folders that come up.

Then go to Start/Run and type in regedit and click OK. This will open the registry. Go to File/Export and export the registry to the desktop or my documents, after giving it a name. Next, open the + sign alongside HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Open the + alongside software and delete any folders referring to the offending program. Do the same in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Then close the registry. This should have removed the program, although a restart is advised. See how you get on then. DO NOT delete the registry folder that you have exported, and DO NOT delete the contents of the recycle bin either for a few days. If all is well you can empty the contents of the recycle bin and delete the exported registry. Should you get any problems, the first step is to open the recycle bin and restore all the folders, then AFTER that, right click the exported registry and select REMERGE. You will then be back to square one. You must be VERY careful to ensure that you delete the correct files only. This is entirely at your own risk, but I have used this method several times, and I ALWAYS do this even after a successful uninstall, just to clear away anything left behind by the program.

Cesare 14:48 30 Jan 06

Andsome.
I did it. I downloaded a fresh copy from a different source, installed it on the old software and then uninstalled it. All went well although I must confess, my heart beat as going faster than usual, during this operation. Thanks very much for your fine support. Best regards.

Andsome 08:09 02 Feb 06

Glad it worked out for you. Why not print the instructions out, and use them in future. It will get every last remnant of a program off your PC. If you are happy that all is now running OK, and you have checked your other programs, you can right click and delete the registry copy that you exported. DO NOT accidently select REMERG, or all the bad settings will go back in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac