Unable to switch off system restore

Garb 08:40 01 Nov 04

Windows XP Pro. AVG anti virus has detected a virus and I am unable to switch off system restore to get rid of it. Get a message when I click on the system restore tab in "system" saying "an exception has occured whilst trying to run a .dll file. Is this a clever virus doing this and how can I now remove it?. AVG doesn't want to run in safe mode.

rawprawn 10:00 01 Nov 04

Can you turn System restore off in safe mode ?

Garb 10:29 01 Nov 04

No, can't run system restore in safe mode and can't run AVG in safe mode either. PC showing no signs yet of a virus but it has been detected and AVG does nothing with it or does not give me the option to transfer it to the virus vault.

Smegs 10:40 01 Nov 04

What VIRUS is it??

iambeavis 11:29 01 Nov 04

Try this to turn off system restore - Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services then double click system restore service and change the startup type to disabled.

Garb 13:16 01 Nov 04

Many thanks to iambeavis. Turned system restore to disabled in Admin tools, then had control over it again in control panel/system. AVG now reports all drives clear of virus after I deleted the suspect downloaded zip file which supposedly contained the virus "Downloader. Cray.A"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…