Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…
This morning I was unable to start Windows.Reason being.
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing" Windows root\system32/Hal Dll.
I have the Recovery CD Rom and need to carry out a repair.I wonder if anybody can let me have a link or know of a website where I can be given step by instructions on how to do it.
Also how do I find out if I have a Dual boot or Multiple boot system which I'm told is something I will be asked for during the repair.
If you only have a recovery CD then it depends on the computer manufacturer as to what's on the cd.
(might be just an image)
This is for when you have an ordinary XP cd.
Repair XP click here
XP Repair install
Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To Repair Install, press ENTER
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
If you are Dual Boot it asks when you boot what Operating System you want to boot. if it goes strait to Windows. its not Dual Boot
Audi chip Thank you.
Mesh Computer Q5 FX Elite
Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad core processor 2.4 ghz 8MB CACHE 1066MHZ
WINDOWS XP PRO
PCI Express mainboard SLI nForce 650i SLI INTEL CORE 2 DUO.
4GB DDR2 667 MHZ MEMORY
8800GT NVIDIA 512MB PCI EXPRESS
1 TB 2x500GB SERIAL ATA HARD DRIVE 16MB BUFFER.
Also thank you very much to Lotvic for the detailed response.I will be leaving this until the morning but will report back on how it goes.
And thank you Woodchip for your response.
Have you tried Starting in Safe Mode by Tapping F5 or F8 at startup? if you can get to Safe Mode then you can do a System Restore withing Windows
After many attempts I cannot get into safe mode.But thanks for the suggestion.Tony.
After many attempts I cannot get into safe mode but thanks for the suggestion.
Could someone kindly answer this question for me before I attempt my repair.
After the repair is completed do I have to change the Bios boot order back again to the Hard-drive or does it do it automatically thanks.Tony.
Dont know what others response will be,but i dident change mine some 2yrs ago,and the cd drive remains the first boot device.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.