unable to start windows

howard64 06:54 05 Apr 09

XP pro SP3. Due to a power outage as windows was starting I now cannot get xp to start. I have tried the standard - use last known etc., safe mode but nothing works. Using Woodchips start xp floppy I get the message "windows root \system32\hal.dll is either missing or corrupted". How do I replace this file on a pc that I cannot get to start in windows? Luckily this old reserve pc still works. Thanks in advance.

ronalddonald 07:15 05 Apr 09

you have the windows operating system disc to hand see if you can do a repair from the disc. If you can do a full reinstall it will probably work but you be losing your personal files as a result unless these were backed up on externalise drive.

Ims sure some else will know how to download that missing file and placing on the machine that not working

howard64 08:13 05 Apr 09

Thanks ronalddonald unfortunately my slipstreamed xp pro sp3 disk does not find the sata hard drive. My original xp pro cd says the drive is not formatted. I am looking for a simple way of replacing the damaged file.

ICF 08:30 05 Apr 09

Have a look hereclick here

howard64 09:20 06 Apr 09

I am still stuck - any further suggestions

Graphicool1 10:00 06 Apr 09

If you have stuff on that disk you don't want to lose. I suggest you set it as slave and put in the older PC open the drive and remove what you want to keep. Reset it as master, put it back in its original PC. Go to safe mode, insert the WinXP Pro disk. Start>Run at prompt type:
sfc /scannow
The disk will check the system and replace the files it needs.
If all else fails, once you have removed whatever you want to keep. You can always reinstall Windows.

ened 10:15 06 Apr 09

If your old pc doesn't have a sata drive you can disconnect the sata drive, put in an ide disc, install windows, plug in the sata drive and get the data off it.

Take it from there.

howard64 11:34 06 Apr 09

thanks all I will now have a go - cheers Howard

howard64 12:53 12 Apr 09

I connected this drive as a slave in another pc and it showed the disk as not formatted. All progs I have could not find the windows data to repair. I then went to the Western digital site and downloaded their sata 11 setup prog. This found the disk on the spare pc and set it up as an ntfs drive. Back in its own pc my slipstreamed sp3 cd found it and installed windows. It is obviouse to me that having put this brand new disk into my pc and loaded windows onto it that something was not right. Now things that were taking several minutes to do are only taking seconds. The lesson being with a new drive get the makers setup prog to start it off correctly. Thanks all for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…