Unable to start in safe mode

sznnty 16:22 24 Feb 04

I am running Windows 98se and ME on different partitions on my computer, in none of the partitions am I able to restart in safe mode despite having no obvious problems in actually working within the drives. When attempting to start in safe mode I receive the message: D:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.sys missing or corrupted files.
I have checked the drives and this file is present, I extracted and restored this single system file from 52.cab but I continue to be locked out of safe mode.
Any help appreciated, at the limit of my ability, and I have to write everything down to remember it.
Thanks in anticipation, Sue

MichelleC 16:49 24 Feb 04

You could try running sfc on 98 partition (ME hasn't got it) to see if any system files have gone, and put in 98 disc (note, all changed files will show).

sznnty 22:45 24 Feb 04

Tried SFC in 98se, the only problem it found was one changed file: D:\WINDOWS\System\setupx.dll, the present system file version was 4.10.2222 version on windows98se disc was 4.10.1998. SFC replaced file from disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…