Unable to sign in to MSN Messenger Service

Andybear 10:42 22 May 04

I tried to sign in to the MSN Messenger Service and it wouldn't work. I checked the 'Connections' tab in 'Options' and got the words 'You are currently NOT connected to .NET Messenger Service'. It says that the internet connection should be automatically detected but mine isn't. I'm on NTL broadband 600K. Anyone got any thoughts? Many thanks.

Arthur Scrimshaw 11:22 22 May 04

I have copied this from messenger help as I don't know if you can access this at the moment

Can't connect to MSN Messenger

Ask yourself these questions:
Are you sure you are connected to the Internet?
If you are connected to the Internet and you still cannot connect to MSN Messenger, the .NET Messenger Service might be temporarily unavailable. You can check its status on the .NET Messenger Service status page.
Do you have a Microsoft .NET Passport?
You must sign in to MSN Messenger with a Microsoft .NET Passport. A Passport gives you a single, convenient way to sign in to multiple Internet sites and services using one sign-in name and password. If you have a Hotmail.com or MSN.com e-mail address, you already have a Passport.
If you don't have a Passport, you can get one at the Microsoft .NET Passport site.

Have you typed your e-mail address and password correctly?
Some e-mail addresses and all passwords are case-sensitive. Be sure to use the same capitalization when typing your e-mail address and password as you did when you applied for them.
Have you used the correct password?
If you do not know your password, go to the Microsoft .NET Passport site to reset it.
Is your Passport working?
If your Passport is not recognized, try going to a Passport site such as click here. Sign in, and make sure you are recognized there. If so, the .NET Messenger Service might be temporarily unavailable. You can check its status on the .NET Messenger Service status page.
Is the Passport you use a Hotmail.com account?
If it is, is your account still active?
An MSN Hotmail account is deactivated if it is not used during the first 10 days after registering. If it is not used within 30 days of registering, it will be deleted.

Check to see if you can sign in to your MSN Hotmail account at click here.

If not, you will need to either register for a new MSN Hotmail account at Hotmail Registration or create a Passport using any e-mail address at Microsoft .NET Passport Registration.

Are you using MSN Messenger in a corporation or through a corporate network (LAN)?
If you are not, and you are not behind any type of firewall, but you use an Internet service provider, follow these steps:

In the main MSN Messenger window, click the Tools menu, and then click Options.
Click the Connection tab, and then clear the I use a proxy server check box.
If you are, follow these steps:

In the main MSN Messenger window, click the Tools menu, and then click Options.
Click the Connection tab.
Note the information and ask your system administrator to verify that the information is correct.

Andybear 11:48 22 May 04

Thanks. I have no problem connecting to the internet and I have seen all of the above and tried what they said. My Passport is working fine, I've checked the service status page and they say all are ok, and I've tried turning off the firewall to see if that makes a difference, but it doesn't. I'm the only person who uses this computer, there isn't a network.

bvw in bristol 12:04 22 May 04

I'm unable to sign in as well at this moment.

Andybear 12:06 22 May 04

Thanks bvw in bristol - glad to know it's not just me. I've used it before without any problem.

BranVan39 12:11 23 May 04

Im having same problem. Bought an ADSL router and MSN stopped connecting. Have gone back to the USB ADSL modem and works fine. Are you two also connecting through a LAN? If so I think its a problem with MSN, because it did used to work.

Andybear 12:15 23 May 04

I've got NTL broadband so am just connecting with a cable modem, usb. As far as I'm aware, I'm not connecting through a LAN.

only me 12:32 23 May 04

i have problems with MSN, they keep telling i have put wrong password, so i retype it OK, is it them.?

Andybear 12:35 23 May 04

It probably is. My password is correct, I can connect to Passport web page. It's just Messenger itself won't connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…