unable to shut down properly

Freds1 23:53 17 Dec 04

I am running Windows XP home and aol. When I close down I sometimes get a note suggesting that aol is still running, which it is not. I close that box then the computer shuts down but the fan keeps running...and running. When I switch off at the main and then switch on again,the computer will not start for about 15 minutes. Anyone with a similar problem please?

feb 08:57 18 Dec 04

Hi Freds1, Have you tried using the AOL computer check-up?

jack 09:13 18 Dec 04

This may be a temerature sensing problem with the fan.
Try this
instead of shutting down go to Start/Turnoff computer
Then holding down Shift Key click on 'Stand by'
This puts the machine in 'Hibernate'
The machine will normally go through the closedown proceedure and then powerdown as if switch off.
but it also puts all the current work in a spot on the hard drive, so then on startup. it comes back to where it left off.
Picture this you are in a middle of a letter and called away go to Hibernate =and when you come back and start up up pops the half done letter where you left it.
In this state you can also switch of power at the socket.
This may get the running fan problem -or it may not.

Freds1 11:28 18 Dec 04

Feb. yes I had tried computer check up but it did not resolve the problem.
Jack. Thanks very much, the shift + standby allows me to start the computer again right away.

feb 12:18 18 Dec 04

The AOL still running notice, is a known problem with the AOL dialer, no fix at the moment.

feb 12:34 18 Dec 04

Just had a thought, I think I read that if you stop the aol dialer from starting it cures the problem. MSConfig> startup> AOLDial

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac