Unable to send / receive e-mail. Avast update

j41 11:56 14 Nov 04

Hi Guys,
I have had a look for this subject and didn't see anything, so this may be of interest to some.

Yesterdays !Avast program update prevented me downloading or sending e-mail. (XPsp2 / Tiny Firewall / Mailwasher Pro / Outlook)
A simple fix for me, but other folks have had some other problems.

See the Avast Forum for details click here

Cheers

QQAA 15:29 23 Nov 04

You mean you could actually update your Avast virus definition file in the first place?

For the past few days, I encountered this error message "Connection terminated, retrying......" whenever I tried the updating by right-clicking the program icon located at the system tray. Each time I had to cancel the updating because it really leads to nowhere.

Seems that the address "download2.avast.com" had persistently rejected access from my pc. I am running Outpost firewall in the background but I it had not caused this connection problem previously.

Some comments from anyone here?

SurfMonkey _#:@} 15:32 23 Nov 04

with your email avast has changed your pop3 to 1.2.70.00 in your settings go ansd change it back to who ever your with

QQAA 16:39 23 Nov 04

For my post, i have to add that manually downloading and running the latest Avast virus definition from the developoer's website is workable. This would be the only avenue for me if no solution to the recent problem in auto-updating (through the program icon at system tray) is found.

I suspect that along the way, some relevant program files might have been gradually tempered by some unknown malicious tools (as a result of my frequent internet usage) that caused the mysterious connection problem in auto-updating of Avast.

Gongoozler 16:58 23 Nov 04

The Avast version 4.5.529 beta has fixed a number of bugs that were found in version 4.5.523. To download and install version 4.5.529 beta go to click here;action=display;threadid=9007

QQAA 17:42 23 Nov 04

Much thanks to your helpful suggestion, Gongoozler.

I do feared the auto-updating issue which I faced could be a perculiar one. I am already facing this recent update problem while still using the old Avast4.1. That was why I (manually) update to "Avast4.5.523" but to no avail.

I shall wait for the lastest official version beyond the said beta "Avast4.5.529" to arrive, before taking further actions.

j41 18:34 23 Nov 04

Hi guys,
I had to reset my server settings to pop.xxxxx and smtp.xxxx. The NEXT update had me change one to 127.0.0 and the other to smtp.xxxx - go figure!

At least it works!

Buchan 35 20:24 23 Nov 04

I`ve had no problems with Avast 4..5.529. Just downloaded and as a security measure sent myself an email which was recieved.

Gongoozler 20:30 23 Nov 04

My link above for Avast version 4.5.529 beta got corrupted. This one should work
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…