Unable to send Hotmail via Outlook Express

StanH 08:39 03 Sep 09

I have followed the new POP3/SMTP instructions slavishly on two machines and whilst I can receive Hotmail messages on OE, I get this message on trying to send

"The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Thursday check', Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.3 Requested action aborted; user not authenticated', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78"

Does anyone else have this problem or is it intended that sending is not allowed?

Stan

bremner 09:34 03 Sep 09

Since 1st September MS stopped Hotmail being sent from OE and now you need to use Live mail click here

StanH 09:37 03 Sep 09

Thanks - it does seem strange however that they give detailed instructions for outgoing mail

dastardly mutt 10:39 03 Sep 09

You can still send through Hotmail / OE.
Under the Properties / Servers tab, tick the box for "My server requires authentication". Leave the "settings" at default.

StanH 10:46 03 Sep 09

That did it - thank you very much

David4637 13:04 03 Sep 09

You do need to set up a new account with different a pop3 server address etc, its not just "My server requires authentication." However when done, Hotmail WILL work in OE without problems. David

matofthemint 14:06 03 Sep 09

Didn't work for me - I get

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: 'Hotmail (1)', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

and what if a STARTTLS command?

David4637 13:54 04 Sep 09

New Hotmail account has to be set up, using POP3.

1. Serves tab

POP3 I/C pop3.live.com
O/G smtp.live.com.

2. Tick My server requires, no more changes.

3. Advanced tab

O/G 25
Tick This server requires SSL.
I/C 995 or 25. I used 995.
Tick This server requires SSL.

Hope this helps you to get Hotmail working in OE.
David

David4637 13:56 04 Sep 09

PS: I should have said when the POP3 is working you can delete the old Hotmail account. David

Clapton is God 14:16 04 Sep 09

Assuming those are genuine e-mail addresses you've each given in your posts, it's not at all wise to publish your addresses in a public forum.

Unless you're happy to receive the deluge of spam which may follow.

Patr100 19:26 04 Sep 09

Hotmail is currently having problesms. It si not due to our settings
See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…