Unable to see wireless networks

andydgra 12:40 13 May 08

D-Link DSL-G624T and lap top is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo model La1703 running vista basic. This Laptop does not see any networks but other laptops in house connect no problems. Over tha past few months we have spent hours on phone to "tech support" and in shop trying to get refund but they say everything is working fine. We did get it online wireless but this only lasted a few weeks.It won't connect to wireless network. Connects fine by wire.
Any one any ideas? ie How do I set it manually to connect to router?

smurfboy 22:24 13 May 08

Does the lap top have a physical switch to enable wireless? If so it may have been accidentally switched off. My Toshiba has a small slider under the edge of the lid/display.

Graham

Ashrich 22:25 13 May 08

If it can't see any networks in the usual manner , try this to see if it can do it from a command prompt ...From the start " orb " go to programs/accessories/command prompt , right click on it and select " Run as administrator " then at the prompt type in ( without quote marks ) " netsh " and press enter , then at the " netsh " prompt type in ..wlan show network mode=ssid and press enter again . If this shows any nearby wireless networks you at least know that the card and drivers are working . To exit the program type in " exit " then " exit " again to get back to the desktop . What are you using to see the networks available ? Is it the supplied software for the wireless card , or is it the Network and Sharing Centre with Vista ?

Ashley

andydgra 10:48 14 May 08

smurfboy; I press and hold Fn and F2 this turns the wireless off and on. (this was my first thought too).

Ashrich; I get the message "There is no wireless interface on the system."

I can get online with the laptop by wiring it to modem. AFAIK I am using vista driver.

Ashrich 18:42 14 May 08

Is the laptop still under warranty ? Sounds like the wireless card has given up , time for a new one I think .

Ashley

andydgra 19:11 14 May 08

The fujitsu people are adamant that everything is working properly though, it has been back to their workshop when the screen was flickering and we told them about wireless problem, they checked it and it did work for a short while when we got it back. Called them when it packed in again and they talk us through a whole load of checks and then say it is possibly a software fault, call 0900 etc (£1 a minute or whatever)If we send it back under warranty and they say no fault found they will charge me £95!

Ashrich 22:58 14 May 08

I take it you can't get the light for the wireless module to light up either when doing the fn+f2 combination , is that right ? no light at all .

Does anything show in Device Manager , also , I have just downloaded the manual for your laptop , and it says " Check whether the wireless LAN is activated/deactivated in the installed wireless LAN software " Now , I am not sure what software you use with the wireless module , but it must be worth checking . If it is turned off in software then it can't work when turned on or off in hardware .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:22 14 May 08

I think the software you might need to look at is Launch Manager ....

Ashley

andydgra 23:33 14 May 08

I get the light on when fn + f2.

device manager>Network adaptors shows; Fujitsu.Siemens WLAN 802.11b/g (SiS163u)#12
Fujitsu.Siemens WLAN 802.11b/g (SiS163u)#13
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

when I click on VIA Rhine it says device working correctly
when I click on the others it says device disabled when I try to reload driver it says driver is not intended for this platform. wired to connect to internet and locate driver online...which is were I am now just waiting for search result...
I can't find launch manager when I search for programme.

'check whether wireless LAN is activated/deactivated in the installed wireless LAN software' sounds promising

andydgra 23:42 14 May 08

keeps coming up driver not intended for this software for Futitsu Siemens WLAN 802.11 (SiS63u)

andydgra 23:43 14 May 08

sorry 'driver not intended for this platform'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced