unable to run scandisc on C drive (having windows)

amitbon 19:38 20 Aug 06

My PC has become very slow for unknown reasons. At times my CD drive cannot read (i dont think there is anything wrong with my CD drive or my CDs). I have windows XP service pack 2. I restored my system to a previous date after which my CD drive was working fine but still my PC was slow. I ran a virus check which was negative. I then tried to run scandisc on drive C where i was told that it can only run during start up. So i restarted my PC where i got the message "could not open drive for direct access" with that scan disc stopped and windows started. I then tried to defragment c drive but was told that it can only run after the scheduled scandisc takes place, which by the way refuses to happen. then i tried to restart my PC in safe mode. But my pc hanged when it reached a black screen with lots of characters. So i had to reboot in normal mode and my PC continues giving sluggish performance. and all the abovementioned problems keep recurring and i am forced to restore my PC over and over again.

amitbon 19:41 20 Aug 06

if it is of any importance, all my drives are in NTFS format. Please help me guys...

Legolas 19:47 20 Aug 06

Do you have Spyware Doctor V3.2 installed if so this can cause the "unnable to open drive for direct access" problem upgrading to V3.5. can solve this problem.

Legolas 19:50 20 Aug 06

sorry that should be version V3.8

woodchip 20:07 20 Aug 06

Try running check disc in Safe Mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…