Unable to rename folders

Ogbournestandrew 06:35 18 Oct 08

For no particular reason I am unable to rename folders. I am running Vista 32bit and I have trawled the net for 24 hours finding various fixes none of which seem to work for me.

Solutions I have found included downloads of reg files. They worked for other people apparently but not me.

Another solution suggested disabling 'offline files' in Control Panel - I don't seem to have that icon.

I have changed persmissions, I have full ownership and admin rights but I still cannot rename a folder.

I have even unrolled Vista updates from earlier in the week with a System Restore - nothing doing there either.

Does anybody have any further suggestions please? Am I missing a vital file?

mocha 07:24 18 Oct 08

Hi Ogbournestandrew,

Are you getting any error/warning messages when you try to rename the folders.

Make sure when renaming that you are not trying to insert illegal characters within the name.

mocha 07:32 18 Oct 08

Hi Ogbournestandrew,

Illegal characters below, also pressing TAB within the renaming of the folder.

: / \ * | < > ? "

Ogbournestandrew 09:31 18 Oct 08

Mocha

Thanks for your replies but I am not using illegal charachters. Oh,that it was that simple!

It is such an annyoying little fault!!

Technotiger 10:08 18 Oct 08

Guys here with the same problem, apparently fixed ... click here

Ogbournestandrew 10:57 18 Oct 08

Tech - thanks tried that. It is a fix from Microsoft that asks you to do a registry change. The specific route that it gets you to find doesn't exist on my machine HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/csc/parameters. I am missing the 'CSC' bit. I created it and followed teh instructions but to no avail.

Aaarrgh!

sinbads 11:23 18 Oct 08

not sure if this is your problem click here a try as allawys make a backup of your reegistry before you make any changes

Ogbournestandrew 15:12 18 Oct 08

Sinbads

Thanks for the link but ....nope that didn't work either.

There are so many refernces to this problem on th net surely MS must be aware of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…