Unable to reinstall XP Pro

Tempest1 11:37 22 Oct 06

I can follow the install process without a problem up to where the pc restarts to install windows. At this point I get an error message
SXS.DLL:Syntax error in manifest or policy file
"J:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS.MAN" on line 4

System then restarts and cycles arpound this point.
Genuine disc,1gb ram,2 HDD in raid array(stripe)AMD 4200 dual core.
Any help appreciated

rawprawn 11:47 22 Oct 06

try taking the CD into the kitchen, let the tap water get slightly warm, put one drop of dish soap on the CD and gently rub it all over with your bare thumb. You don't need to work up a lather. Then rinse it clean, pat dry it with paper towels. Make sure to blow off any lint left from the towels, and try it again. You can always install the OS with someone elses ur XP Disc in

Tempest1 12:29 22 Oct 06

Completing a full format at the moment,will let you know how I get on

DJ-Garry 12:30 22 Oct 06

OUCH, drastic!!!!!!

martjc 12:46 22 Oct 06

...if it gets the disk clean and solves the problem. Notice rawprawn said 'slightly warm' and 'gently rub'. This method will undoubtably take all the grease and crap off the disk!

Strawballs 12:49 22 Oct 06

Just make sure that you go across the disc and not circular motions

Tempest1 13:17 22 Oct 06

Just gone past the 39 minute barrier!!!
rawprawn I cleaned the disc as suggested and still had the same problem, when it cycled back round I swapped the disc from dvd rom drive into the cdwriter and everything seems to be working.
Many thanks

rawprawn 13:38 22 Oct 06

I'm glad you are sorted, it had to be a read problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…