Unable to reinstall Windows 95

eddiejackr 21:14 27 Feb 06

I have treated a 10 year old PC as something of a project - have totally dismantled it and then reassembled. I am an absolute beginner but I think I've put everything in the right place! The PC now powers up and I can get in to the BIOS. I have the manufacturers boot disk, a Windows start up disc that I must have made myself many moons ago, and a Windows 95 CD. I have tried various things, but ultimately they all end up with the A:\> prompt. What should I do? ( I know 95 is ancient but it's a starting point - once I gain confidence I am hoping to upgrade the whole thing, but I'm working with the old stuff for now as I'm not afraid of spoiling it..)

Ex plorer 21:36 27 Feb 06

Hi I have the same problem loading Win95 if its the Win 95with USB it should load ok on Fat a 32.
If its the first of Win95 I found a site on the net which says it has to be Fat16.
There were I think 3 versions of 95.

namtas 21:45 27 Feb 06

Maybe this will help

click here

At the A:-

You have a number of options,

FDISK where you can delete, create or view partitions.

Or, you should be able to type the drive letter of your CDROM containing WIN95 and (the drive letter might be E) and press enter, then at the E: type SETUP and see what happens.

woodchip 21:52 27 Feb 06

Download the tenth file from top click here after downloading, put a floppy in drive and double click the file to create a Win98se boot disc. There are more CD drives saupported with this disc. Start computer with floppy disc and your Win95 CD in the Drive, choose Start With CD Rom Support from list, it will create a Ram drive, Ignore this it will go back to A:\> if you only have one Hard Drive and one CD drive type at A:\> E: press enter then at E:\> type setup press enter and follow setup through. You do need the Windows 95 CD key when it asks for it

Ex plorer 22:06 27 Feb 06

click here Found one other site that may be of help.

woodchip 22:09 27 Feb 06

If you only formated the drive you do not nead to worry about fat file system just reload as above

malarky 22:14 27 Feb 06

Hi EDDIEJACKR,
If I remember correctly, FAT 16 can only address about 2.2 Gb. If your HDD is larger then that then you must partition it using FDISK after selecting "N" to large disk support. If it is WIN95OSR2 then it has FAT32 capability (32 bit addressing as opposed to 16 bit with the older version) so you can opt for the "large disk support" option.

eddiejackr 16:34 28 Feb 06

Thanks for all that!

I've tried various of the suggestions - but - If I type FDISK I get the message "No fixed disks present"

I didn't try the Win98se boot disk yet because I can get CDrom driver Install Successful, but after that I don't seem to be able to go in to the CD drive will only allow me to alternate between drive A and drive B and I don't think drive B exists? If I try to type A:\> with either of C,D or E I get message Invalid drive specification.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Sharpamatt 18:32 28 Feb 06

looking at the thread it seems you used a win 95 boot disk and used Fdisk to creat the partion.

Did you first deleat the existing partion ? the creat the New one.

The next step is to format the drive useing the Format command.

You then need to reboot useing a win 98 boot disk as to my recollection most win95 boot disks did not have CD support.

all thats then needed is to install from the CD rembering the Boot Disk creats a Ram disk and assigns a drive letter.

So with floopy disk A
HD with onlt one partion C
Ram Disk is D
and CD drive becomes E

If you used more that one partion on your hard drive each will have consetuive letters assigned moveing CD drive higher

eddiejackr 20:53 28 Feb 06

Thanks

Ok - I downloaded a windows98 boot disk as per the link given by woodchip, above in this thread. The file was called Windows 98 SE. When I try to boot the computer with this I get "Non system disc or disc error"

Aside from that I can get as far a Starting Windows etc and to the point of configure hard drive. But if I go into the partion option it tells me to go to the format option which just takes me back to A:\> again.

I haven't done any of the FAT suggestions above as I don't really understand these.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…