Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4
I have had a laptop die and have put the old drive in a USB caddy and can see the drive contents.
However, directories created in Docs & settings by other users with passwords and set private are not accessable even with as many admin privs that I can find. Any ideas how to get at these?
If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
Reboot in to Safe mode:
Restart Windows after you see the BIOS screen and before Windows starts to load.
Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.
Use the Arrow key to ensure that the Safe Mode option is selected.
Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
That worked great thanks, saved a lot of time and effort in re-creating.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.