Unable to reconnect wireless from desk top

raysophie 13:07 17 Apr 07

Have a Medion PC which has a RT2500 USB wireless lan Card. When I turned on computer this mornig it would not connect to BT Yahoo via BT home HUB though it said signal was excellent, I disabled on taskbar and am now unable to enable it.When I go to device manager it shows device working properly.
I am also unable to use system restore even though I have diabled Norton 2006 as per previous instructions given on site.
I am able to connect to internet via home hub on my laptop

Dipso 13:26 17 Apr 07

I had this problem and found changing the wireless channel on the router resolved it. I don't know what caused the problem as there are no other wireless networks using the same channel but it worked.

What did you disable on task bar...the Windows wireless icon or do you have the Ralink Wireless Utility?

Can I ask what version of Windows you are running? Although this isn't likely to be the cause of your problem, I found recently that my RT2500 wireless card was only connecting at 11 Meg instead of 54 Meg and rquird a driver upgrade for Vista.

raysophie 13:49 17 Apr 07

I diabled the 'small monitor'icon which has the radio waves from it!
Right click on icon and go to Network Connections, this brings up LAN or High-Speed Internet. they are
1. Wireless network - with red cross
2.Local Area connection -Red Cross
3.1394 connection -no red cross.
When I left or right mouse click on W Network Icon it says Wndows Cannot Configure thie wireless connection etc.
Still have no idea what to do.
Using Windows XP home, Regards System Restore I did post a thread on this and was told to shut down Nortons Antivirus to enable it to work. Last time it worked a treat, this time it will not allow system Restore

Dipso 15:04 17 Apr 07

Does it just say "Not connected" by the wireless network icon rather than "Disabled"? When you get the "Windows cannot configure..." message it usually means you have another wireless utility managing the wireless.

If you go to the Programs menu, do you have Ralink Wireless Utility listed?

raysophie 17:26 17 Apr 07

Sorry about the delay, on nights and fell asleep!
By the small icon on bottom of screen it says Wireless Network Connection Not Connected,right click for more options. View Available Wireless Networks is in bold, click on this and it says windows cannot config this wireless connection.
Yes have Ralink Wireless Utility. Have opened it up and it comes up disconnected,click connect and it requires WEP key. Have input and now shown as connected and the little ball on the icon moves backwards and forwards, and then says limited or no connectivity,has now gone to yellow exclamation mark.Have also found BT wireless connection manager which says connected.
Have now gone to Repair Wireless Network Connection which is saying Renewing IP Address,little ball going backwards and forwards,

raysophie 17:30 17 Apr 07

Has now said under repair wireless Network Connection.Box with Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be compleated
Renewing Your IP Address
For assistance contact the person who manages your network?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 17 Apr 07

Start - settings - Network connections

Highlight wireless network connection and right click select properties.

It should show connect using RT2500 USB card

Click the wirless networks Tab
tick the box Use windows to configure my wireless device.

in the prefered network bock highlight your BT hub.
click proproperties

Asscociation tab
make sure the
ssid matches the name of your BT hub
Network Auth.. matches your security setting Wep or WPA

Reset your netework key

raysophie 18:12 17 Apr 07

Managed to get System Restore to work,now connectin ok it seems. Thanks for your help

Dipso 21:48 17 Apr 07

It won't help that you have more than one wireless connection manager but glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…