Unable to read incoming emails in Outlook Express

Connaught 07:43 09 Sep 05

I must have inadvertently altered the configuration but even though the monitor bar that pops up when you click on the read/send button, indicates there are emails, they do not show in the In box nor any other box. I have the latest version OE

Can anyone please guide me.

Diodorus Siculus 07:49 09 Sep 05

The easiest way will be to go into OE, tools, accounts, mail and set up a new account using your details from the ISP - then delete the one that is there

click here

click here

Connaught 08:33 09 Sep 05

Thank you Diodorus Siculus and for the links. I have done what you suggest but no luck! There are 68 emails on the server and the bar indicates they are being received. It really is odd.

Might the only solution be to reinstall OE? Hope not.

Diodorus Siculus 08:48 09 Sep 05

First off: click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker).

Then: click here
How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

MAJ 09:26 09 Sep 05

There might me a corrupt email among the 68 that's stopping the others from downloading properly, Connaught,. Try going to to your email provider's website and access the email server from there, if they offer that option, it will allow you to clear the 68 emails, hopefully curing the problem. If your email provider (your ISP???) doesn't offer that option, try signing into your account using "Mail2web" click here to access the server.

Connaught 11:14 09 Sep 05

I have tried all the suggestions to no avail. This the latest version of OE is on my laptop and part of a home wireless network. They are configured to leve a copy on the server so that I can always see all incoming mails on any computer. There are three in all.
I have as Maj suggested deleted all the emails on the server (they have been successfully received on my other computers anyway) but that has not solved it.I have been into the registry and tried to reinstall OE from the microsoft site but I end up with a setup that tells me that it has detected a later version and has to abort. Surely it shold be the latest version on the m/s site? Thanks anyway.

lotvic 13:51 09 Sep 05

from the microsoft knowledge base click here

""Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps: 1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
6. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
click here (click here) """

lotvic 14:00 09 Sep 05

this may be useful to read as well click here

Connaught 20:29 09 Sep 05

Thanks but I have done thia exercise twice now and I still get the note that there is a newer version already installed. The only download I can find on the MS site is IE 6 SP 1. Where an I get the latest so that it will install on my laptop. I have also tried installing Mozilla Thunderbird which configures itself but when loggin, it tells me that the server wont accept. So I have abandoned that for fear of opening another can of worms.

Is there not a simple way of installing IE from the MS CD (the laptop is a brand new Acer)so that it overides the lready installed program?

Thanks everyone!

Hamish 20:45 09 Sep 05

Try typing Repair outlook express in to Google. I brings up a load of sites which may help

GaT7 21:29 09 Sep 05

Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP - Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue. click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…