Unable to read back up Discs!!

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 19:52 22 Jul 03

Hi

I'm having a strange and annoying problem. I have made back ups of my data onto CD over the last couple of years, but the problem Im seem to have is a few months down the line the discs are not reading.

They do work for a while after they were 1st burnt but then a few months later (time varies from a couple of months to 12 months)

At first I thought it may have been the discs but I have used 4 different brands and all are suffering. Although I do have a few that aren't affected so far!!

Its doing my head in. The software used is Nero.

Anyone know what the problem may be or a solution. As it seems that I have lost my data.

-pops- 19:54 22 Jul 03

These aren't, by chance, CDRW disks are they?

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 20:00 22 Jul 03

No. They are CDRs.

askgreg 21:38 23 Jul 03

I have the same problem with CDRW discs, and I use 'Nero'. Will the 'Nero' site be able to help.? I will try.

If you have another reply I will be most interested.

Greg Askey

Confab 21:48 23 Jul 03

Very odd.

A faulty CDRW maybe?? Perhaps the read laser is damaging the disc's. Just a guess.

You could try recovering the data using Badcopy Pro from
click here its a trial version but will let you recover a limited amount of data. It has worked well for me

woodchip 22:04 23 Jul 03

You could try this, no Guarantee that it will work but no harm in trying. Put the disc in the CDRW drive no other CD's in and click copy if it can read it it will copy to HD and ask you for a clean disc and it will then burn the files to new disc I have done this with Software disc's that would not normally be read from the same CD drive.

PS Copy's have always been OK

Mike2002 22:36 23 Jul 03

I tried this method when my PC was suddenly not able to read my word processor installation CD.
I wasn't even able to view the contents, let alone install anything. The CD-R copy worked perfectly, the original still doesn't.
As my son has often told me - MAKE BACKUPS OF YOUR BACKUPS!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…