Unable to re-start W98 in MS-DOS mode.....

ShannockSid 15:53 28 Sep 04

I'm having trouble loading Norton Systemworks 2004 due to missing/corrupt cab files.

Apparently I have to re-install Miscosoft Installer files to do this, by re-starting in MS-DOS mode.

But when I try to re-start in MS-DOS mode the computer just locks up and nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smegs 16:58 28 Sep 04

Try starting the Pc, and pressing f8. This should get you into DOS.

Cuddles 17:11 28 Sep 04

From RUN type in SFC this will put you into System File Checker, it should pick up missing files, insert 98 cd and follow prompts.

Smegs 23:20 28 Sep 04

I think I have mis-understood something here sorry.

Is ShannockSid saying Missing/Corrupt 98se files or Norton files??

ShannockSid, go into bios and change the start up from C:\ to D:\ or whatever your first CD drive is. Then put the 98se disk in, and boot your pc up with it in. Let it re-install 98se. You should NOT lose any data or programs that you have saved. All it is doing, is re-installing some of the missing or corrupt files.

ShannockSid 19:15 29 Sep 04

Going into the bios sounds extreme to me, as I'm not overly computer literate.

There is a solution on the Norton web site, but it states you have to restart in MS-DOS mode. When I try to do that the computer locks up solid and freezes.

Dan the Confused 20:22 29 Sep 04

Boot from the Win98 startup floppy.

skylark101 20:58 29 Sep 04

Alternatively: double click "my computer" double click drive "C" locate the file "Command.com" or "Command" and double click to launch DOS.

VoG II 21:04 29 Sep 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…