Unable to print using wireless printer + router

dalglish 18:30 10 Mar 05

Hi all

I have 2 laptops, one work-provided, the other personal.
With my own laptop, which is WiFi, I have a wireless network using a Netgear ADSL router and wireless printer which work perfectly.

However, my work printer is not WiFi enabled and I would like to print to the wireless printer via a CAT 5E cable plugged into the back of the router. I am able to access my work's server when hard-wired to the router but unable to print.

What do I need to do to be able to print from my work printer without physically taking the laptop to the printer and using USB?

Many thanks

Steve

FelixTCat 18:56 10 Mar 05

Have you installed the printer in your work machine?

Go to Control Panel - Printers and Faxes - Add Printer and follow the instructions for a network printer.

dalglish 20:15 10 Mar 05

thanks Felix
Yes I have done this already or my work has done so as I can print fine if I take the work laptop to the printer and use ISB, just can't do it when there is a router between them.

FelixTCat 21:50 10 Mar 05

I think there is a difference between installing the printer on a USB port and installing it on a network port. If nothing else, you have to go into the printer driver and tell it which port it is printing from.

You should probably have 2 printers shown - one on the USB port and one on the network port, with different names E.g. "Printer USB" and "Printer Net" so that you know which to use from Word, or whatever.

dalglish 18:54 15 Mar 05

thanks Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…