Unable to print text-only documents.

COOLBRITANNIA 00:13 04 Feb 04

Recently, I found that I am unable to print text-only documents from Outlook Express, Word 2000, Wordpad, and Notepad. I can print webpages from Internet Explorer, and can print graphics from Adobe Photoshop, and also print files containg graphics from Word 2000. I am using Windows ME O/S, and printing from a Lexmark Z33 printer.

I have tried the following to no avail:
1) re-installed the most uptodate Lexmark printer driver.
2) disabled bi-directional communication.
3) tried to print using the generic printer drive.
4) tried to print in safe mode.
5) disabled print spooling.
6) done Word 2000 self-repair.
7) run defragmentation and a full scandisk.

Please could any one advise me, as to any other solution to this problem, or could it be a problem with the win.ins file?

Diodorus Siculus 07:58 04 Feb 04

Well, the old reliable to check for system errors if you have win 98 / 2k / xp is the sfc utility.

start

run

sfc /scannow

- this will see if there are any problems with the windows setup. Worth a try I think.

Big Elf 11:12 04 Feb 04

Have a look in Printer Properties, Advanced tab, Print Processor button and change the default data type to another one to see if that helps.

COOLBRITANNIA 13:45 06 Feb 04

I cannot run sfc /scannow in Windows ME. The system produces an error message stating that the wrong file name has been typed in the run dialog box. I have changed the data type to raw data, in the printer properties section. This does not solve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac