unable to print over network windows 7

howard64 15:11 PM 03 Jun 11

I have a wired network with 2 windows 7 pc's on it. I have added the printer on the no. 2 pc that is connected via the network. Everything is set up for sharing but I never get a print output from no.2 pc. The spooling service is running but I cannot find whatever setting is wrong and stopping the print. No. 1 pc with the printer connected prints perfectly. Both pc's are set up to the Workgroup and I can use the network to alter files on each pc from the other one. When adding the printer to no. 2 pc it can see the printer connected to no. 1 pc but so far nothing I have done has made it work. All suggestions will be tried - thanks in advance.

Ian in Northampton 16:40 PM 03 Jun 11

I had the exact same problem except that my W7 PC couldn't use the network printer attached to my XP PC. The fix was wholly and entirely not intuitive - and I wish I could remember what it is. I vaguely remember something like, instead of telling the W7 PC you want to add a network printer, you tell it you want to add a local printer and then tell it the printer's location as \hostname\printername - something like that. I found it by extensively Googling. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

howard64 16:48 PM 03 Jun 11

thank you Ian in Northampton I will try that thanks.

Ian in Northampton 16:49 PM 03 Jun 11

Further Googling threw up this which might be worth trying:

Devices and Printers -> Add Printer -> Add a local printer -> Create a new port: -> Type of port: Local Port -> in the ‘Enter a port name:’ textbox type the exact path to the network based printer you want to connect to, e.g. \hostpc\epsons20

onthelimit1 17:08 PM 03 Jun 11

have a look at this link

Ian in Northampton 17:14 PM 03 Jun 11

otl1: that's not the link I remember, but I'm 99% certain that's the method. Nice work!

howard64 17:29 PM 03 Jun 11

thanks onthelimit1 although mine is w7 to w7 I will give these instructions a try and see what happens.

onthelimit1 19:14 PM 03 Jun 11

howard64 - good luck - hope it works!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED